The latest home console since the Wii/PS3/Xbox generation has been announced, called the Wii U. Nintendo's latest offering aims to target hardcore gamers as well as casual gamers with its first ever HD console. I'm pretty surpised at this given I was pretty sure the next generation of consoles would be 3D capable (as PS4 is speculated to be 3D). Wii-U seems like the belated Wii upgrade opposed to a next gen console- or is this what it is?
The controller, has a 6.2 inch screen, microphone, front facing camera and a standard definition touch screen. You can play games without the TV (though I don't see this ever being much use)- how are you supposed to play a multiplayer game on the Wii U controller alone?
Also did anyone else notice that the Wii U controller resembles the bottom half of a Nintendo 3DS console (with the exception of another D-pad)? Surely they could work on synching the two systems together for better game play?
I also don't think the Wii U controller works very well for motion games- it's just big and awkward to move around. Even the promo picture of such use looks forced and painful!
Games announced for the Wii U include first person shooters Ghost Recon and Battlefield 3. All current Wii games and accessories are supposed to be backwards compatible, rendering old Wiis obsolete. No wonder GAME are selling the Wii, Wii Wheel and Mario Kart for just £99!!
- Size: Approximately 1.8 inches tall, 6.8 inches wide and 10.5 inches long.
- Other Controls: Up to four Wii Remote™ (or Wii Remote Plus) controllers can be connected at once. The new console supports all Wii™ controllers and input devices, including the Nunchuk™ controller, Classic ControllerTM, Classic Controller ProTM and Wii Balance Board™.
- Media: A single self-loading media bay will play 12-centimeter proprietary high-density optical discs for the new console, as well as 12-centimeter Wii optical discs.
- Video Output: Supports 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i. Compatible cables include HDMI, component, S-video and composite.
- Audio Output: Uses AV Multi Out connector. Six-channel PCM linear output through HDMI.
- Storage: The console will have internal flash memory, as well as the option to expand its memory using either an SD memory card or an external USB hard disk drive.
- CPU: IBM Power®-based multi-core microprocessor.
- Other: Four USB 2.0 connector slots are included. The new console is backward compatible with Wii games and Wii accessories.